Listen to this website

The European Union (EU) Settlement Scheme is for any EU citizen from outside the United Kingdom, who currently lives in the UK, and wants to stay after the UK leaves the EU. The Home Office has  funded Riverside Community Health Project and The Children’s Society locally to help those people eligible to make an application through the scheme, in order to get Settled Status.  Advice on the EU scheme can only be given by practioners with appropriate legal qualifications, and all staff from these three organisations are qualified. It is free to access their support.

The Children’s Society have new drop in sessions to assist vulnerable EEA nationals living in the North East with applying for the EU settlement scheme (EUSS), which gives them the necessary status to stay in the UK after we leave the EU.

Drop Ins will be held as follows:

  • Newcastle - Every Monday (Except Bank Holidays) between 1-4pm at Brunswick Methodist Church, Brunswick Place NE1 7BJ.
  • Gateshead - Every Thursday between 1-4pm at The Family Church, The Hub, Swan Street, Gateshead NE8 1BQ
  • Sunderland - Every Tuesday between 1-4pm at Sunderland Bangladesh International Centre, 30 Tatham St, Sunderland SR1 2QD 

Contact the Children's Society EUSS team if you have further questions on 0191 349 9481 or by email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Riverside CHP will help those living in Newcastle and Gateshead who want to make an application for Settled Status. They are running information and support sessions throughout the year, and will have interpreters available. For more information, call 0191 2260754 or email This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

What do people need to bring?

Photographic national ID (national passport / national ID card / Biometric residence card); Proof of residency in the UK (National insurance number. If you don’t have one, you need letters to prove your addresses for the whole time you’ve been in the UK {this could be council tax letters / bank statements / tenancy agreements etc.); your email address and phone number.

Who should attend? 

EU / EEA / SWISS nationals who do not have indefinite leave to remain in the UK AND any non EEA close family members of EU/EEA nationals living in the UK. This service is funded to support the most vulnerable people in making their applications. If we cannot help, we will signpost to other services.