Job or Trustee?
We are seeking a Chair for Newcastle’s Culture Compact who will be a champion of the Compact’s ambition, its public face and who will operate at a senior strategic level on behalf of the Culture Compact across sectors.
It is important that the Chair can influence policy makers at both local and regional level including combined authorities and local enterprise partnership.
The Chair of Newcastle’s Culture Compact will:
• Hold the Culture Compact Members to account for the Compact’s mission and vision, providing inclusive leadership.
• Ensure that the Members of the Culture Compact remain focused on the delivery of the Culture Compacts ambition.
• Chair and facilitate Culture Compact Member meetings, working with Culture Compact administration support to plan the annual cycle of meetings, setting agendas and agreeing minutes
• Give direction to the Culture Compact’s decision making, bringing impartiality and objectivity and check that decisions are implemented
• Act as a champion of equality and diversity
• Represent the Culture Compact at functions, meetings and acting as a spokesperson as appropriate
• Address any issues that arise within the Culture Compact membership
• Ensure the Culture Compact Membership is regularly refreshed, incorporating a good balance of skills, knowledge and experience across sectors.
• Maintain a close relationship with key stakeholders including Arts Council England, North of Tyne Combined Authority, North East Local Enterprise Partnership and Core Cities.
• Experience of serving on a Board or management committee.
• Knowledge of the arts and cultural sector, the policy framework in which it operates and the impact of arts and culture on placemaking and communities.
• Experience of working at a senior level with key stakeholders.
• Experience of working, and ability to network, across sectors: eg. business, universities, health wellbeing, charitable and voluntary.
• High level of integrity, tact and diplomacy.
• A strong commitment to equality and diversity.
• Good communication and interpersonal skills.
• Able to give the necessary time commitment
Terms of engagement
Terms: The appointment is made for an initial 3 year period
Working hours: Variable, equivalent to one day per month
Location: Meetings are held in Newcastle
Responsible for: Newcastle Culture Compact Members
Applicants should provide:
• A letter of no more than 2 pages setting out their interest in the role and how they meet the person specification
• A current CV of no more than 3 pages
• A completed equality monitoring form (NB: this will not be used to assess applications.)
These should be sent by email to Patricia Stead - email@example.com
Please send letter and CV as a single PDF file wherever possible.
Timetable for recruitment
Invitation to apply: W/C 13th July 2020
Deadline for application: Friday 14 August 2020
We anticipate holding interviews before the end of August 2020
The new Chair would be expected to formally adopt the role at the September 2020 Newcastle Culture Compact meeting.